If you're planning on heading out of the Dudley or Webser area and taking a road trip at any point this summer, definitely read this short list of tips. It's not just your "cliche list" - we've compiled some fun, unique ideas to help make it great!
1. Create special games and new traditions – You’ll have plenty of time for conversations, sight-seeing, and singing at the top of your voice. Add some extra fun by making up silly games, traditions, or “rules”. For example, every time you cross into a new state, look up what the state flower, song, and motto are. Or every time you pass a cow pasture, the first person to roll down the window and say “MOOO!” gets a point, etc. Get crazy and have fun!
2. Create a special playlist – Make a special playlist for your trip, and listen to it over and over along the way. Whenever you hear one of the songs from that playlist later on, you’ll instantly remember the places you visited and how much fun you had!
3. Leave room for flexibility - Yes, you need to plan, but plans often go awry at times. Mentally prepare for things to not always go 100% as planned so that you don't feel as much stress when the unexpected pops up or when you hit a detour!
4. Get your car checked out - Save tons of time, money, and frustration by making sure your vehicle is squared away and good to go before you leave! Bring your car to the shop and to make sure your oil and filter will get you back without problems and that your brakes, windshield wipers, tires, and everything else are working properly...Because getting stuck on the side of the road isn't what most people imagine when dreaming about vacation!
5. Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle at all times – Even if you have roadside assistance, it could take a while for them to get to you. Make sure to have at least extra bottled water, snacks, blankets, jumper cables, a fully inflated spare tire, and reflectors ready and available in case of an emergency. A cell phone battery pack would be a good idea, too!
6. Make it easy on yourself - plan with apps – Today there’s a lot of cool apps and websites that can help you (often for free) plan a trip better than ever. Apps like “Roadtripper” will help you plan your trip and add places and sights along the way. Other apps will help you plan rest stops and food stops, etc.
7. Save your memories, automatically - Register for an automatic photo album service! There are apps and services like Chat Books that are inexpensive and automatically take your favorite pictures and/or the pictures you post on Facebook or Instagram, make them into a little book, and send them to you, automatically! There are SO many pictures I wish I put into a book, but life gets busy and they get lost.
Have a fun and safe summer! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!